The holidays are literally here, so you know what that means! The New Year is coming! But what better way to bring in the new year then to make your home a healthier one?
So many detox programs out there in the new year for your body, but how about for your home?
Sometimes it is just a matter of knowing where and how to start.
Don’t worry. I have put together a list of 19 products/brands to start making over your home and they are also great non-toxic choices for the whole family. Here’s to a healthy new year!
P.S. This is NOT a sponsored post in any way. It is just a list of alternatives to make healthier swaps to the household items and/or personal care products you may be using now. Some of these products or brands I have used myself and continue to use. Use this list just as a reference to start and see what else you can find.
1. Dirt Don’t Hurt Me – Kids Charcoal Tooth Powder – an all natural, earth + plant based tooth powder made from activated charcoal.
2. Ora Wellness – Healthy Teeth & Gums Starter Kit made with essential oils to help keep your breath fresh and whiten teeth naturally
3. Smile Natural Products – oral care products made with non-toxic, vegan, and cruelty-free ingredients
Household Cleaning Products
4. Dr. Bronner’s – Sal Suds Biodegradable Cleaner for the dishes, floor, laundry, and more. Literally the ultimate multi-purpose household cleaner! I suggest checking out their whole line of products really (I have been a personal fan for a long time! They will transform your entire house!)
5. PUR Home – household cleaning products that are plant-based, biodegradable, sulfate-free, and non-toxic
Natural Remedies/Natural Health
6. Mountain Rose Herbs – find simple remedies for common ailments like headaches, tummy aches, and cold and flu, including remedies such as lozenges, herbal extracts, tonics, and syrups.
7. Gaia Herbs – shop supplements for the whole family, including elderberry syrup and herbs for immune, stress, and overall wellness support.
8. Vitanica – specializes in natural health products for women that are formulated by a female naturopathic doctor.
Feminine Care Products
9. The Honey Pot – feminine care products created by a woman – powered by herbs
10. PlanetBox – 2, 3, or 5 compartment stainless steel lunch boxes designed for both kids and adults.
11. Zero Waste Store – environmentally sustainable products from reusable silicone sandwich bags to glass straws
12. If You Care cooking and baking supplies – everything from parchment paper to baking cups
13. Aquagear Filter Pitcher – designed to remove tap water contaminants, including PFOA/PFOS, microplastics, lead and other heavy metals, chlorine, and VOCs.
14. Zero Water 10 Cup Water Filter Pitcher – reduces lead, PFOA/PFOS and other contaminants
15. Brita Everyday Water Pitcher with Longlast+ Filter – reduces chlorine (odor and taste) and other contaminants, including 99% of lead, from tap water.
16. Victoria Cookware – cast iron cookware that includes tortilla presses, skillets, and dutch ovens
17. Pyrex glass food storage containers – easily swap to glass containers and start using less and less plastic
18. Natural candles from Mountain Rose Herbs – these candles are free from synthetic fragrances, paraffin, and petroleum by-products.
19. LITE + CYCLE – candles made with essential oils, cold-pressed extracted oils, and other cleanly extracted plant and flower essences (only!)
6 tools & apps to help you shop for better products:
Use these tools and apps on your current products at home or to discover some new ones:
Retail Report Card ranks the largest retailers in the US and Canada on toxic chemicals such as PFAS in the products and packaging they buy and sell.
Think Dirty is a mobile app that tells you about the product’s ingredients after scanning the product’s barcode. You can scan the barcodes of any of your beauty, personal care, or household product.
Clearya is a free Chrome extension and mobile app that notifies you when there are unsafe ingredients in your makeup, personal care, baby care, cleaning and other products, and helps you find safe alternatives while shopping online at places like Amazon, Walmart, Sephora, Target, and more.
MADE SAFE focuses on certification for nontoxic products from baby to personal care. They screen ingredients against their database of known harmful chemicals. Any product using their seal will mean it was made with safe ingredients, without toxic chemicals known to harm our health.
EWG Skin Deep Database lists hazard ratings for 70,000 products in personal care and beauty and 9,000 ingredients. Just search by ingredient or product to see how your favorite product rates.
The Good Face Project is a mobile app that analyzes your product labels and screens every ingredient for toxicity, which results in a Safety Grade for your product.
Looking for more ways to make over your home?