*A special thank you to Golden Barrel who provided me with the organic sugar for this recipe (and another jar of blackstrap molasses)!*
My kids love sugar cookies! Me, not so much, so this is actually the first recipe on here that I had no desire to taste the end product.
But, I had to at least take a bite to make sure they were okay. The true test was my kids’ reactions. And their reactions were mmm mmm good, which is pretty much all that mattered in this case.
My husband liked them, too.
You can’t have true sugar cookies without the, well… sugar! These are sweet and good and health-ier than the usual ones. Enjoy!
This recipe makes approx 40-48 cookies.
What you’ll need:
- 2 3/4 cup organic whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups Golden Barrel organic (extra fine granulated) sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Stir flour, baking soda, and baking powder in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Mix applesauce, yogurt, and sugar well in a separate mixing bowl until smooth.
- Add egg and vanilla to the mixture from step #3 and mix well.
- Mix in flour mixture from step #2 just until the flour is no longer visible (do not overmix).
- Use a teaspoon to scoop out and place 2-inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet (or place foil or wax paper down on the cookie sheet first).
- Bake in preheated oven until golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Let cool about 15 minutes.
This recipe was adapted from All Recipes.
Estimated nutrition facts based on 24 servings. Serving size = 2 cookies.
Calories: 102 Protein: 2g Fat: 1g Total Carbs: 23g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 13g Sodium: 66g