It took me a while to actually like beets. I still don’t necessarily love them, but I will take more opportunities to eat them. By the way, have you checked out my Raspberry Beet Smoothie Bowl? It’s both bright & delicious!!!!
Besides brightening up your day, beets can pump your body full of antioxidants, help you detox and aid in digestion.
And surprisingly, they can give your baked goods a red velvet look. After I made these muffins, everyone kept asking are these red velvet cupcakes?
No, they are not!
So, what’s the lesson here moms? Add some beets to your muffin recipes and call it ‘red velvet’….your kids will gobble them up in a minute.
I used Love Beets for this recipe, but you can easily use regular small sized beets. I just used them to try them out and do something slightly different.
Ever heard of rainbow beets? You could probably use those too if you want, although I’m not sure what the end color of the muffins would be.
If you do try this recipe with rainbow beets let me know how they turned out…would love to know!
But, in the meantime, enjoy the red velvet chocolaty taste of these red velvet beet muffins!
Add some frosting and they could very well pass as red velvet cupcakes!
This recipe makes 12 muffins.
What you’ll need:
- 2 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup fair trade organic cane sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 4 small beets
- 2 tablespoons organic coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place muffin liners in your muffin tin or grease each muffin mold.
- Combine all ingredients in a high speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture evenly into the muffin tins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Muffins are done when a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center of a muffin.
- Allow to cool before eating!