So ever since my dessert for breakfast roundup my mind has been thinking of nothing but dessert for breakfast, of course. Today I have another cookie recipe that you are more than welcome to eat for breakfast.
Recently, I made some pancakes using orange extract and they were so good. Then I thought well what else can I make with orange flavor?
Muffins? More pancakes? A smoothie?
And then I remembered I haven’t highlighted blackstrap molasses in a while. I mean I have a blackstrap molasses smoothie bowl recipe in my smoothie book, but I haven’t really had anything on the blog regarding it since my Blackstrap Molasses Pancakes.
So I used my Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies as the inspiration for these breakfast cookies. A few things are different including spelt flour instead of whole wheat flour, but you can’t tell the difference since the delicious orange flavor takes over.
Go ahead and add these cookies to your breakfast favorites!
This recipe makes 9 cookies.
What you’ll need:
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 mashed banana
- 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 1/2 tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 1 tbsp orange extract (I used Simply Organic)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a cookie sheet or place foil down.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the mashed banana (make sure it’s completely liquified first), sesame seeds, blackstrap molasses, orange extract, and spelt flour.
- Then add in the applesauce and rolled oats mixing well without overmixing
- Use a tablespoon to scoop cookie mix onto cookie sheet.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Estimated nutrition facts based on 3 servings. Serving size = 3 cookies.
Calories: 282 Protein: 8g Fat: 4g Total Carbs: 51g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 6g Sodium: 7mg