OMG!!!!! I have hit the jackpot with these brownies! I LOVE brownies and anytime I can make them in a healthier way I am all on board.
Now don’t get me wrong. I love all the previous brownies I have made so far, but these black bean brownies have given them all a run for their money.
I’ve seen brownie recipes calling for black beans and would think to myself how good can brownies made with black beans really be? So when my daughter asked for some brownies (she’s a brownie lover, too) I saw this as the perfect opportunity to just see for myself.
And not only were these brownies so good, they also are packed with the good stuff.
Black beans are a great way to pack some protein and fiber in as 1 can has 28g of protein and 21g of fiber. The fiber will help you feel fuller longer, which can aid in weight loss and help improve your digestion. The protein will also help you stay full longer as well as help build muscle and burn fat.
Ooooh, so can we call these fat burning brownies? Too much? Yeah, that might be a bit of a stretch, but nevertheless, you can eat these brownies guilt free!
My youngest son who claims he doesn’t even like chocolate (but he’ll eat chocolate chip cookies) had two! Between me and my kids these brownies were almost gone the same night I made them.
So good luck with keeping them around for long.
Hope you enjoy!
This recipe makes 9 brownies.
What you’ll need:
- 1 (15 ounce) can of organic black beans
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/2 teaspoon double acting baking powder
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease an 8×8 brownie pan.
- Drain and rinse your black beans.
- Place the black beans, eggs, coconut oil, cacao powder, baking powder, applesauce, and sugar in a high speed blender. Blend everything until smooth.
- Spoon the 1/2 cup of chocolate chips into your brownie mixture, mix in evenly, but do not overmix.
- Then pour the entire brownie mixture evenly into the 8×8 baking pan.
- Scatter 1 tablespoon of chocolate chips on the top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes. Brownies are done when a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes then enjoy!