These muffins started out as a pancake idea in my head. But, then as the mixture started coming together I thought it only natural to continue with my muffin kick. (This is what happens when you are stuck in the house during a major snowstorm!)
I had made a chocolate oatmeal smoothie a few days before, so I kind of used some of the same ingredients and made these muffins.
And, it resulted in a new favorite muffin!
I mean who doesn’t love chocolate? No, seriously, who doesn’t?
This recipe makes 12 muffins.
What you’ll need:
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 egg (optional)
- 1/2 cup fair trade organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place muffin tins in baking pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the oats, cacao powder, sugar, and baking powder.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix the coconut milk, vanilla extract, and egg (if you are using one).
- Combine mixture from bowl #2 with mixture from bowl #1. Mix well, but do not over mix.
- Fill each muffin tin to about 3/4 to almost full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes (until muffins are golden brown or a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into a muffin).
- Allow to cool for 15-20 minutes before serving.
Estimated nutrition facts based on 12 servings (with the egg). Serving size = 1 muffin.
Calories: 124 Protein: 4g Fat: 3g Total Carbs: 22g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 8g Sodium: 29mg