I have wanted to update this recipe for a while, but I never seemed to find the time to do it.
I finally got a chance to and they turned out great!
The recipe was inspired by the one in the Vintage Remedies Guide to Real Food book. That recipe is for orange carrots specifically and the cupcakes tasted soooooooo good when I first made them.
This time I decided to use rainbow carrots, which have a different taste than the usual orange carrots you might be used to, but they still came out just as good. The different colors also have slightly different health benefits.
I also used some teff flour along with the whole wheat flour.
These cupcakes are still DELICIOUS and VERY moist, too! And this was VERY kid-friendly…hope you enjoy!
Recipe updated Jul 30, 2016.
This recipe makes 12 cupcakes.
What you’ll need:
- 6 medium to large organic rainbow carrots, grated or shredded (you can use any combination of colors)
- 1 cup unbleached whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup whole grain teff flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon double acting baking powder
- 4 large organic eggs (or 4 mashed bananas)
- 1 cup sucanat
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 12 cupcake baking cups
- Preheat oven 325 degrees.
- Mix the flours, cinnamon, and baking powder together in a medium mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs (or mash the bananas until liquified), then add the sucanat, applesauce, carrots, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Slowly add the mixture from step #2 to the mixture in step #3. Mix to ensure everything is well incorporated, but do not overmix.
- Place baking cups in cupcake tins and fill each tin equally with the cupcake mixture.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 25-35 minutes. The cupcakes are done when you insert a toothpick in the center of a cupcake and it comes out clean.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes before serving.
Estimated nutrition based on 12 servings (using eggs). Serving size = 1 cupcake.
Calories: 144 Protein: 4g Fat: 2g Total Carbs: 27g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 17g Sodium: 67mg