May is Healthy Vision Month and to help promote awareness I have made this smoothie from the Eat Right For Your Sight Cookbook. This cookbook is filled with eye-healthy recipes and was written in collaboration with the American Macular Degeneration Foundation (AMDF).
You’re never too young to start caring for your eyes. To underscore the severity of macular degeneration:
- 10 million Americans suffer from it today with the number set to rise exponentially
- It is the leading cause of legal blindness in people over 55 in the country
- There is no cure but a diet rich in eye-healthy nutrients is said to help reduce the risk of development
This smoothie came out delicious so now you can take care of your eyes while sipping a tasty drink! It’s a win-win!
By the way, my kids taste test pretty much every smoothie I make and let me tell you – after I taste tested this one myself they stole the rest from me and drank it!
This recipes serves 2.
What you’ll need:
- 1 ripe banana
- 2 kale leaves, stems removed
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 cups pomegranate juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender and purée until smooth, about 45 to 60 seconds.
- Chill briefly if desired. Serve immediately.
Recipe from Eat Right For Your Sight: Simple Tasty Recipes That Help Reduce the Risk of Vision Loss from Macular Degeneration, By Jennifer Trainer Thompson and Johanna M. Seddon, copyright © American Macular Degeneration Foundation, 2014. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold.
Nutritional profile provided by The American Macular Degeneration Foundation
Serving Size: 2 cups
Protein: 4 g
Fiber: 5 g
Fat: 1 g
Saturated fat: less than 1 g
Sodium: 33 mg
Vitamin A: 7,808 IU
Vitamin C: 135 mg
Vitamin E: 2 IU
Zinc: 1 mg
Beta-carotene: 4,677 μg
Lutein and zeaxanthin: 19,946 μg
No compensation was received for this post – it’s just a smoothie for a good cause.