So, I finally got this recipe right! It took me 3 times to get it. However, I wouldn’t exactly say the previous 2 recipes were failures because my kids managed to eat all the other donuts I made.
They don’t exactly like coconut so the fact that they ate them all, including these, is fantastic!
Coconut flour is very tricky to work with and that was what I had trouble with. I had a combination of whole wheat flour and coconut flour at first, playing around with the amounts.
Then, I finally just used coconut flour only, which by the way is filled with the good fat so don’t be scared away by the fat content. It also has a high fiber content so woo hoo!
I also added a tasty chocolate finishing touch, which is always a hit.
By the way, want the ‘I love Chocolate’ tank top? Get yours here!
This recipe makes 12 donuts.
What you’ll need:
For the donuts
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder (or unsweetened cocoa powder)
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli)
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 mashed banana (or 1 egg)
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- Donut pan(s) for 12 donuts
For the chocolate topping
- 1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
For the donuts:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease donut pan with oil to prevent the donuts from sticking.
- Mix cacao powder, chocolate chips, palm sugar, and flour together in a medium mixing bowl.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, mix the applesauce, mashed banana (or egg), and coconut milk together.
- Slowly mix contents from both mixing bowls together, but do not over mix.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop out mixture and fill each donut mold.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely before attempting to remove the donuts from the pan or they might fall apart.
- Top with chocolate topping, coconut flakes, or your choice of goodness.
For the chocolate topping:
- Combine ingredients in a small microwave safe container.
- Microwave for 45 seconds to 1 minute, until all the chips have melted.
- Drizzle over donuts with a teaspoon once donuts have completely cooled (after removing from donut pan).
Estimated nutrition facts based on 12 servings (without chocolate topping). 1 serving = 1 donut
Calories: 113 Protein: 3g Fat: 12g Total Carbs: 22g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 14g Sodium: 8mg