So, I stumbled upon this baked banana peanut butter oatmeal recipe recently and knew I just had to make it. But, rather than making it the same exact way I thought to change it up while keeping the same concept.
And I came up with acai and blackberries.
What is acai?
Acai (pronounced ah-sah-ee) is a berry that grows in the Amazon. They go rancid very quickly once picked, so buying them in powder or juice form is the next best thing.
Acai berries are low in sugar, contain a host of antioxidants, and may help with many things including weight management, allergies, heart disease, and inflammation (like arthritis).
This combination came out soood good, although I am definitely going to try the original recipe of banana and peanut butter on my own because who doesn’t like bananas and peanut butter?
But, I believe this came out just as good. I love that it’s described as a cross between a bowl of oatmeal and an oatmeal cookie because that’s how it tasted.
I eat a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast…alot, so this was a nice twist to it.
I hope you enjoy it the same!
This recipe serves 6-9 (depending on how big you cut each square).
NOTE: no added sweeteners were used in this recipe as the blackberries added on top produced enough sweetness for me, but feel free to add in a sweetener of your choice, if you desire.
What you’ll need:
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon acai powder (I used Sunfood Superfoods)
- 2 tablespoons flaxseeds or flax meal
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup blackberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease an 8×8 baking pan.
- Grind the flaxseeds into a powder and set aside.
- In a high speed blender, mix the acai powder, almond milk, and blueberries together until smooth.
- Pour into a large mixing bowl and add the ground flaxseeds, the oats, baking powder, and egg. Mix well, but do not overmix.
- Pour the mixture evenly into the baking pan.
- Add a handful of blackberries on top and place in the oven.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Allow to cool before spooning into a dish and enjoy!
Recipe inspired by Happy Healthy Mama