By now you should know I not only love chocolate, but I love the combination of chocolate PLUS peanut butter. I love drinking this Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie anytime of day, love topping a smoothie bowl with this Peanut Butter & Chocolate Granola. And of course, who can resist Peanut Butter Brownies?
So, it was only a matter of time before I made Peanut Butter Cups.
Makes sense, right? I don’t eat anywhere near as much candy I used to, but I do love me some Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups!
I came across quite a few recipes for homemade ones and decided to make my own attempt at these using the recipes as inspiration.
Well, the first attempt came out OK, but I wasn’t wowed. It didn’t have enough peanut butter flavor. Yes, you heard me, it wasn’t enough. I wanted to taste peanut butter & chocolate with every bite.
So, back to the drawing board. My second attempt was better, but I made it without the peanut butter in the middle surprise. Now, that’s not going to work.
I hope you enjoy these because you know…the third time is ALWAYS the charm!
This recipe makes 12 mini peanut butter cups.
What you’ll need:
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup + 12 teaspoons (1/4 cup) organic or natural peanut butter (melted/liquified so you can easily pour it out)
- 12 mini cupcake liners
- 1 mini muffin pan
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the cacao powder, applesauce, maple syrup, and 1/4 cup of the peanut butter, until it’s a creamy consistency. (Start whisking slowly so the cacao powder doesn’t go all over the place).
- Place cupcake liners into muffin pan.
- Scoop a teaspoon of the chocolate/peanut butter mixture into the bottom of each cupcake liner.
- Then, scoop out a teaspoon (or more if you desire) of peanut butter and place it on top of the chocolate/peanut butter mixture in each cupcake liner.
- Fill the remaining space of the cupcake liner with the remaining chocolate/peanut butter mixture.
- Place the muffin pan in the freezer until the cups harden.
- Store in the freezer until you are ready to eat them as they start melting very quickly.
Estimated nutrition facts based on 6 servings. 1 serving = 2 mini peanut butter cups
Calories: 215 Protein: 7g Fat: 14g Total Carbs: 18g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 11g Sodium: 88mg